Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2009

The Golden Rule in Community

When I was younger, I would easily get irritated by the rustling, fidgeting and paper shuffling that always seemed to take place when I was trying to be still and focus and pray. I would spend entire prayer periods just obsessing over what the other persons were doing wrong and how insensitive everyone seemed to be. Hadn't they been taught like I had how to behave in Church...I wondered. If it were up to me there were may ways in which the Prioress could have dealt with all of these little things that irritated and annoyed me so much. I kept thinking that I would know how to handle things if I were ever in charge.

Thankfully, that day has not arrived and I have also matured some since my early days in community. I have come to know and to appreciate everyone of these women and the contribution that they make in our community. Whenever there are some sisters absent, or even just one, the character of our community changes. Today, I can say that I would not want to trade any of our Sisters or their personalities since that is what makes us all unique and make us a unique community.

We are all familiar with some version of the "Golden Rule" which basically states that we should treat others as we ourselves would like to be treated. In other words, don't do to another what you would not gladly want done to yourself. In chapter 70, Benedict deals with the presumption of some to brashly correct other's faults. I need to remind myself that I live in a very human community where we all have our share of quirks and idiosyncrasies. If I expect others to be kind, gentle and understand with me as I continue to grow, I need to give that same gift to others in my life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment