Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A New Table Etiquette

When I first entered community, one of the hardest things for me was understanding how mealtimes worked. Not that I had a problem with being a picky eater or with knowing which fork to use; I had more concerns and questions with how to eat slowly and enjoy a leisurely meal. I also did not appreciate small talk or pleasant table conversation. Considering that I definitely like to talk and usually have something to say that was a surprise for some folks.

As I have matured in community, I have come to appreciate story-telling at meal times. I don't panic as much when there are silences during the meal. I can pause to put my fork down for a few minutes between bites and know that it is acceptable--even expected.

Family time around the dinner table is one of the many things that community can show us. We can learn the value to listening politely, serving one another at table and just being present and attentive to the other.

These are all lessons that I would have missed if I had not be willing to learn a new table etiquette.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment