Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

On Private Ownership

Monastic life has long been considered to be counter-cultural. In few places is it more evident than in Chapter 55 of the Rule, where Benedict makes clear that private ownership has little place in community.

Monastic community life takes the image from the Acts of the Apostles of the early church as its model. In such a group, everything is held in common, there is no one in need, and all have what is necessary for their daily life. In the Rule's version, everyone receives from the superior not only what is essential for daily living but also what might be necessary for a particular ministry or situation. The needs and character of the person are taken into account.

In this type of community, everyone is seen as a steward or custodian of the common goods rather than owner. In a sense, if I am a custodian of the utensils or clothing or instruments then I have a responsibility to care for them because eventually I might be called to pass the goods on to someone else. This concept is very foreign to the concept of ownership where I am and will probably the only person to use something and I also have the power to lend my goods or to demand them back.

How am I caring for the materials I have to work with today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment