Search This Blog

Friday, December 11, 2009

Knocking at the Door

RB 58: “Do not grant newcomers to the monastic life an easy entry…”

Our Sisters often share stories of their vocation with one another at table conversation in our dining room. Included in our stories is our first encounter with our community. My first visit to the monastery proved this line from the Rule to be true. The first time I came to St. Joseph Monastery for a monastic weekend retreat, I drove into the parking lot and saw a large, Tudor-style building. I had been instructed to meet one of the Sisters “at the front door”. I noted what I thought was the front door, on the south side of the building. As I started to walk closer, I spotted another door on the east side of the building. A dilemma….which is the front door? After some debate in my head, I chose the south door as it was closer and also it was large and wooden like a monastery front door should be. I approached, rang the doorbell and waited….and waited. After a time, a Sister opened the door, smiling. I introduced myself and stated that I was here to meet Sr. Barbara. I was relieved when she answered, “I am Sr. Barbara”, giving me a warm welcome. I made it in! She told me she had been waiting for me at the front door (the door I did not choose), but not to worry, the door I entered was actually closer to the guest room where I would be staying for the retreat.

If we keep knocking, God will meet us where we are, even if we are at the side door, waiting and wondering.

Sr. Marie Therese, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment