Search This Blog

Monday, December 13, 2010

Being An Offering

RB80 entitles Chapter 59 of the Rule: The offering of sons by nobles or by the poor.

This title has always seemed a little awkward to me since in our culture we do not deal regularly with nobility or even, in any real sense, offering the work of our hands or something personal to God at the Presentation of the Gifts. The concept of 'tithing' tries to address this issue except that in most cases, I can be so far removed from the weekly offering that is presented in a Sunday envelope or a monthly check that it is just one more monthly bill to pay.

I am reminded of the Gospel story of the widow's offering. She offered to God from what she needed for livelihood. Manytimes, I find myself offering God a portion of what is left over after everything else is done...the last few minutes of the day before I fall asleep, the last ounces of energy after I have done a day's work, the last bit of charity after I have spent it throughout the day.

I desire to give God my best rather than my leftovers. How am I offering the best that I have today to God?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment