Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Visiting Monastics

A visiting monk from far away will perhaps present himself and wish to stay as a guest in the monastery. Provided that he is content with the life as he finds it, and does not make excessive demands that upset the monastery, but is simply content with what he finds, he should be received for as long as he wishes.

Visitors should not make themselves a burden.

When I was young, I learned that if I wanted to be socially accepted or even just invited places, I needed to make sure that I was a pleasant guest. If I was too demanding or bothersome, I might find myself never invited anywhere. I learned this lesson fairly rapidly and learned it well.

My parents were always amazed that I seemed to be a much different person at friend's homes as opposed to my "at home" behavior. I was polite and courteous. I was not picky or as obnoxious. I even offered to do some tasks that I would never have done willingly at home. My friends were that way at my home also. Just being a guest in someone else's home seemed to make the difference.

Benedict addresses the issue of guests today. He supports his disciples visiting other groups as long as they are not overly-burdensome.

I need to develope some of those "away from home skills" more fully so that they become a part of my daily life. How can I make life at home more pleasant for myself and others?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment