Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Practical Nature of the Rule

Benedict talks today about clothing. He does not really stress about it or over-emphasize his point. Benedict simply states that clothing should be appropriate for the season; should fit the wearer and should be simple. Clothing is seen as a practical tool to fulfill a purpose rather than something to be identified with the person.

Growing up, I loved getting new clothes, shopping, or even just browsing through the Speigel Catalogue--dreaming of what my next outfit would be. As a teen, I spent hours in front of my mirror trying various combinations for the next "free dress" day or party. I obsessed about making sure that the my outside looked polished and sophisticated. Meanwhile, my insides were not as well- ordered.

Today, I realize that it is important for my inner person to match my exterior. It does not work for me to look good on the outside while I am withering away on the inside. I need to be wholly engaged with life--inside and outside.

How am I living as a person of integrity today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment