Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Not Seeking Exceptions

Repeatedly in the Rule, Benedict states that the individual monk should not seek to make exceptions to the common practices. This concept is harder to accept than obedience to a leader is some ways.

I can understand doing what I am asked to do respectfully...but making a point of being just like everyone else and not asking for exceptions because of my temperament, preferences, emotions or whims???

I was raised to believe that I am unique and special in every way. This fact, however, needs to be tempered with the realization that the same is true of every single person. EVERYONE is unique and special and NO ONE needs to be the exception to all rules.

Living and working within a community setting this becomes abundantly clear. If basic rules that all must obey do not exist, chaos reigns and nothing will be accomplished.

I need to remember that I am not the standard setter for every situation. How am I learning to accept that that life asks of me today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment