Search This Blog

Friday, December 3, 2010

A Place of Prayer

Chapter 52 of the Rule sets parameters around the monastic oratory--the designated place for prayer. Benedict states that the oratory is a prayer place and nothing else should be done or stored there.

The oratory is not a place for conversations (unless it is conversation with God). It is not an extra storage space--where I can leave those things that do not fit in my closet, desk or bedroom. The oratory is to be just what its name states--a place of prayer.

In our monastery, the oratory is a place in the center of our building. It is at the intersection between our living/dining space and our public space (our front reception area and our business office). Our oratory is the "heart" of our home.

To this "heart" I bring the concerns of the day, prayer intentions gathered throughout my day of ministry and my hopes/aspirations. I join my prayers with those of others to ask God's blessing and insight. From this "heart" I am strengthened and energized to go forth and take God's life and love to all whom I meet. The oratory is both the "heart" of our home and the living "heart" of our lives.

How am I living the spirit of our prayer today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment