Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Receiving What Is Needed

The abbot, however, must always bear in mind what is said in the Acts of the Apostles: 'Distribution was made to each one as he had need' (Acts 4:35). In this way the abbot will take into account the weaknesses of the needy, not the evil will of the envious; yet in all his judgments he must bear in mind God's retribution. RB 55.20-22

All of my needs are taken care of--that is a comforting thought. I do not have to worry about my own clothing, my supplies, my tools for ministry, the equipment I need to fulfill my daily tasks. What I do need is to practice trust--trust in the leadership of the group and trust the group to get me what is necessary.

  • There is no need for me to devise my own private stash of food, supplies, tools, necessities for a day that might not be as plentiful. Although it is comforting to know that I have enough for myself and everyone else.
  • There is no need to look over what others have and long for their possessions. Unless, of course, I am also willing to take on the responsibilities that often come with new gadgets. The iPhone does not look as appealing when I realize that having it will require that I also take on two new responsibilities within our group.
  • I do not need to compare what I have with what others seem to get because I know that everyone has exactly what is needed at that time.

May I always remember to keep my focus on my own piece of creation.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment