Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Golden Rule in Community

After all, it is written: 'Never do to another what you do not want done to yourself.' (Tobit 4:16) RB80.70.7

This reference to the Book of Tobit is found at the end of Chapter 70 which speaks about striking out against another. Who would have thought that the Golden Rule had found a place both in Scripture and in the Rule?

This reference reminds me to take into account the thoughts, feelings and concerns of others before I act. I need to consider whether I would like to receive the action which I am contemplating. Ideally, this pause will help to curb any tendency towards revenge, retaliation or spite.

This special consideration of others helps to make life in community more peaceful and less chaotic. It helps me to expand my awareness of others and my compassion towards others. I need practice in that often because there is a tendency in me to become self-centered and over-focused.

What am I doing to remember my relationship with others today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment