Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

Calling All to Counsel

In the monastery no one is to follow his own heart's desire, nor shall anyone presume to contend with his abbot defiantly, or outside the monastery. RB80.3.8-9

The good of the whole should outweigh the wants or desires of the individual. This is another way of saying, "I can't get my own way all the time. The good of the whole group will always take precedence."

As hard as it is to learn and accept this precept, it is one that is definitely needed for working well in groups--family, team, workplace, community. Without some compromise and dialogue on all sides, very little productive work can be accomplished.

While my natural tendency might be to throw a temper tantrum and let the world know just how unfair and miserable things are for me--having to submit my own desires and will, these tirades do little to better my situation or to help me build community.

It is in fully participating in the decision making process that I grow within the group and that the whole benefits from whatever wisdom I may have to share.

What am I doing today to improve the quality of community?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment