Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Teaching by Example

Furthermore, anyone who receives the name of abbot is to lead his disciples by a twofold teaching: he must point out to them all that is good and holy more by example than by words, proposing the commandments of the Lord to receptive disciples with words, but demonstrating God's instructions to the stubborn and the dull by a living example. RB80.2.11-12

We have all heard it said that actions speak louder than words. Today, Benedict takes a similar approach when addressing the leader about teaching God's ways. To those who are docile and agreeable teach through words; for those who might be more resistant teach through the example of your life--be a role model for others for the good.

When I was younger, I remember someone telling me once that I could take any of my elders as a role model--they could either show me what to do to have a happy and successful life or I could learn what not to do by learning from the mistakes of others. The choice is totally mine whether to follow the good example of others or the misguided example. I can choose my destiny everyday.

That idea has stuck with me as I have matured in community. It has also occurred to me that I can be that same kind of role model for others also. Do I want to be a model for the good of community or a model of what not to do?

I pray for the grace to consistently be a model of good and virtue. What kind of model am I today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment