Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

The Enclosure and Stability

The workshop where we are to toil faithfully at all these tasks is the enclosure of the monastery and stability in the community. RB80.4.78

We have reached the end of the chapter on The Tools of Good Works. After listing 77 verses worth of instructions on how to use the various tools and virtues of the spiritual craft, Benedict tells us what the workshop for the spiritual craft is--the monastery and stability. Stay exactly where I am and do the next appropriate task.

That seems simple but it is not easy. It is simple since there is only one thing I need to focus on to achieve the task. It is not easy in that maintaining focus can sometimes be strenuous work.

It is in staying right where I am, doing just what I am supposed to do that will bring me growth, virtue and true joy. Maintaining my focus during the rough periods that are sure to come and persevering to the end will bring eternal rewards and great growth. I just need to remain faithful to the task.

What am I doing today for my own growth?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment