Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

I generally avoid making New Year Resolutions or setting concrete goals...mostly because I am not fond of accountability and I tend to see things in extremes so the potential for failure if not perfect is terrifying. Who wants to start the year making promises that you know you will probably fudge on before the 1st week of the year is complete?

This year I decided to do things a little differently. I would make just one resolution...it would be one word long and is supposed to be one of the key elements in my life today. My resolution for 2011 is to LISTEN. Listen to God's Word in my life, listen to those around me, listen to God's stirrings in nature, maybe even listen to myself and my body.

Listening is more than the physical act of hearing. It is a choice to pay attention and to stay with the message being delivered. Listening requires my full presence because it is easy to miss a piece of the message if I am distracted. It asks me to put aside what I already know or think I know and open myself to a new perspective.

Listen is the first word of the Rule of Benedict and needs to be an essential value in my life and in my relationships.

How am I listening to God's voice today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment