Search This Blog

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Gospel--A Guide for the Journey

Clothed then with faith and the performance of good works, let us set out on our way, with the Gospel for our guide, that we may deserve to see him who has called us to his kingdom (1Thess 2:12). RB80.Prologue.21

It is important to have a good plan and a good map when setting out on a journey. As we begin another cycle of the reading of the Rule of Benedict, it is necessary to have a road map also.

Benedict fills his short Rule with a multitude of allusions to scripture. He uses these references as freely as many of us use regional expressions or idioms in daily speech. He intends for his followers to be that familiar with the Bible also...especially wisdom literature.

I enjoy travelling so I can relate to the need for a trustworthy map or at least a good compass to help orient me in my daily journeys. That map can be pretty worthless if I do not understand the symbols it contains or it's information. In that same way, I need to become so familiar with the Scriptures that they become part of who I am. I need to take the time to allow these beautiful passages to become more than just mere words to know and memorize but words to live by.

What am I doing to allow God's word more space in my life today?

No comments:

Post a Comment