Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

Running Away or Running Towards?

Do not be daunted immediately by fear and run away from the road that leads to salvation. RB80.Prologue.48a

But as we progress in this way of life and in faith, we shall run on the path of God's commandments, our hearts overflowing with the inexpressible delight of love. RB80.Prologue.49

I enjoy moving at great speeds...so it is no surprise that this image of running found in the Prologue has always intrigued me.

Benedict presents me with the option of running away from this way of life. Running away in fear, in distress, in dejection from thinking the road too strenuous before even starting the race (Afterall, it is still the Prologue). Benedict also considers running towards God, towards fullness of life, towards love.

Which will I choose?
  • I choose to run away everytime I let my fears or fantasies rule me.
  • I choose to run away when I consider community and relationships not worth the effort even for one hour.
  • I choose to run away through looking for distractions in my day to take me away from the dailiness of life.
  • I choose to run towards God whenever I remember to pause and acknowledge God's presence with me--I am not in this alone.
  • I choose to run towards life in doing things that improve my quality of life.
  • I choose to run towards love in my relationship building and my communication skills.

May Christ truly bring us together to have a share in God's kingdom.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment