Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Absences from the Norm

If someone does not arrive at table before the verse, so that all might say the verse together and pray and sit down to table as one, and if he comes late through his own negligence or bad will, he should be rebuked up to the second time. But if he still does not reform, he should be denied participation in the common table. He should eat alone and cut off from the company of all; his portion of wine should be taken away; and let this go on until he has made amends and changed for the better. Whoever is not present at the verse that is said after the meal should suffer the same punishment. © Benedict's Rule: A Translation, Terrance Kardong, 1996 by The Order of St. Benedict, Inc., Collegeville, Minnesota. 43.14-17. All rights reserved.

When talking about tardiness to community prayers and meals (what Benedict considers essentials), Benedict has little tolerance for those who show up late, leave early, or are consistently disruptive to the community schedule. He seems to feel that attendance for the whole event is necessary for a group to function well.

I have seen in my life how I tend to isolate myself and pull away from community at those times when I look for excuses to be absent. Although I generally love being in the midst of community events there are times when it seems that I almost long for any reason to be away from the norm. When I notice this happening, I need to stop and see where my heart is drifting to and bring it back to my community and to my primary commitments.

I am grateful for those times when I am brought back into the group after straying. How am I living out my commitments today?

Please pray for the staff and participants at Life Awareness Retreat this weekend for the Diocese of Tulsa.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment