Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Respecting Space

There are times and places where silence and space need to be observed. I am much more aware of that this year since I have been at the Monastery during the day more than usual.

Our Oratory (Monastic Prayer space) happens to be in the center of the house--just off the dining room/kitchen, business hallway, and laundry room. One of the best features of our oratory is it's openness and it's location. That is also one of the hardest things. Sound travels easily, there is lots of motion in the area and distractions abound.

I have to remind myself to be quiet in the hallway outside the Oratory, in case someone might be praying. I have to remember to open and close doors quietly--and to close the dining room door during prayer times even though it might seem inconvenient. I have had to train myself to be more aware of others around me and their needs. Maybe that is a lesson that God had always intended for me.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment