Search This Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

Distribution of Goods

So the one who needs less should thank God and not be sad. And whoever needs more should be humble about his weaknesses and not gloat over the mercy shown him. Thus all the members will be at peace. RB80.34.3-5

Growing up, my parents made sure that we all felt special and unique in some aspect of life. My younger sister was the artistic, talented and pretty one. My brother was the frail and delicate one who always seemed to need extra help and extra time. I was the smart and quiet one who easily disappeared. In all this, we grew with a certain sense of entitlement.

In a way, in order to make up for my lack of beauty, I felt I needed more clothes, shoes, accessories, etc to make up for my lack and more books, gadgets and "smart looking" things to make my strength shine more. As I grew older, I continued this thinking.

Benedict invites me to look at material possessions a little differently today. If I happen to have a special strength, I need to work on improving it to give God glory and to help those around me--not use it as a way to justify having more stuff. If I have a weakness, I need to pray for acceptance of it and to continue working on strengthening that area--rather than use it as a means of being demanding and whiny. I need to trust both God and my community to be able to supply what is truly necessary for me in life.

May God continue to instruct me in how to be more trusting in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment