Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Idleness

Idleness is the enemy of the soul. RB 48.1

I personally don't do well with a lot of unstructured time on my hands. I have never been a person with a long attention span...so even as a child whenever I got bored, I would usually find a new diversion--usually one that cause problems for me and was not very productive.

Things have not changed much in my life as I have matured. I can still easily get bored and my diversions are not any more beneficial to me than before. This constant boredom or ennui with the common life is not anything new to me or to our generation. Evidently, Benedict's community suffered from something similar in the 6th century.

Benedict proposes a way of living that balances prayer, rest and manual labor. He provides a system where there is a change every hour or so. I would benefit greatly by taking time to reflect on Chapter 48 more closely as it pertains to my life today.

May I always seek that balance in life to which Benedict calls us.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment