Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Beginning and Ending Blessings

The one finishing the week should say this verse: "Blessed are you, Lord God, for you have aided me and comforted me" (Dan 3:52, Ps 86:17). When this has been repeated three times and the departing server has received the blessing, the one entering upon service should say: "God, come to my assistance; Lord, hasten to help me" (Ps 70:2). This verse too should be repeated three times by all. He should be blessed and let him then begin his week of service.
(Benedict’s Rule: A Commentary, Terrence G. Kardong, 35.16-18)


Benedict proposes a system of blessings and rituals throughout the Rule. From the Prologue, where he asserts that prayer should be at the beginning of each new endeavor until Chapter 72, where there is a prayer that God will bring us all to life everlasting.

My family had a strong system of blessings when I was growing up. I considered it kind of quaint that we would be prayed over by my grandmother as we ran out the door for school in the morning, on going to bed at night, on leaving for an errand or on the occasion of a special presentation or exam. Thinking back those times also gave me a feeling of comfort and security (like my family was right there next to me during these important events). I still rarely leave our driveway without stopping for a short silent prayer for safety.

Benedict wanted his followers to have the assurance that they had a whole group with them no matter what was happening...even during the tough days when nothing seems to go right. Somehow it is easier to accept rough days when I know that I am not totally alone in the experience.

May I always remember that God is with me everywhere and at all times.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment