Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

No Justifiable Grumbling

Similarly, he should so regulate and arrange all matters that souls may be saved and the brothers may go about their activities without justifiable grumbling. RB80.41.5


Benedict is not a fan of the whiners, the eye-rollers, the detractors from the common life. He also realizes that there might be instances where these behaviors might possibly be considered justifiable. To guard against this happening, Benedict instructs the leader to arrange things as much as possible so that there would be no real excuse for complaining.

There have been times in my life when I have been a community breaker rather than a community builder. During those lapses, I have found myself being angry, resentful, envious and negative. Nothing is ever enough during those times and I find myself isolating from everyone else. Partly because others start avoiding me and partly because I have convinced myself that I don't need others and that no one understands.

Benedict invites me to be a true participant and builder of community. May I always desire to be a community participant.

What am I doing to build community around me today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment