Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

God's Bells

At the time for the Divine Office, as soon as he hears the signal the monk should drop whatever is in hand and rush there with the greatest haste. But he should do so with dignity so as not to provide an occasion for silliness. Therefore nothing should be put ahead of the Work of God. (Benedict's Rule: A Translation, Terrance Kardong, 43.1-3)

Bells, bells, bells...just when it seems that I am finally being productive the bell always rings to interupt me. Benedict invites me to perceive these signals as the voice of God calling me to prayer--not just as one more interuption.

Bells come in all different forms and sizes. Sometimes the bell could be the sick child that needs extra attention today. It could be the stranger that sits next to me in the pew at church. It could be the lonely elderly neighbor that stops by to chat. These are all ways in which God calls to us in life.

Who is God's bell for me today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment