Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Right Touch

Every age and level of understanding should receive appropriate treatment. RB80.30.1

Growing up as the oldest in our family, I never really understood why the younger ones always seemed to receive different treatment than I did. I believed in a world of justice and fairness where everyone is treated equally. That all makes lots of sense as long as everyone is identical and all situations are equal. Unfortunately, that is rarely the case.

So...did I seriously want my parents to treat me with as much care as they did my brother who was often sick (and never really got to have much fun)? Did I really want to be protected like my sister who being the youngest probably did need a bit more protection? Do I really want to be held to the same standard as everyone else (even though it might not be as effective for me)? Benedict relied on the wisdom of the superior to be able to discern what was the best approach to deal with each situation.

May I trust leadership enough to handle situations as is wisest.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment