Search This Blog

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Table Reading

Reading will always accompany the meals of the brothers. The reader should not be the one who just happens to pick up the book, but someone who will read for a whole week, beginning on Sunday. RB80.38.1

One of my favorite school memories is our daily reading time. Everyday from 1st--8th grade our teacher would read to us for a few minutes, usually at the end of lunch recess to help transition us back into studying. I always loved the stories our teachers read and looked forward to the next day's reading.

St. Benedict offers us this experience by suggesting table reading. While everyone is getting settled into their places and trying to clear their minds of unfinished tasks or past worries, there is a restful transition time to bring all back to the table. In our community, we usually read for about 10 minutes at the beginning of dinner to provide an opportunity for all to begin the meal and to provide some table conversation starters. Manytimes, a lively discussion will follow our period of reading.

Table reading is also a discipline that is necessary for those of us who rarely stop talking and moving. Listening to the reading helps me to quiet my heart and my spirit so that I can become more present to those around me.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment