Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

Revealing Secret Sins

When the cause of the sin lies hidden in his conscience, he is to reveal it only to the abbot or to one of the spiritual elders, who know how to heal their own wounds as well as those of others, without exposing them and making them public. RB80.46.5--6

I would often like to believe that whatever I do when no one else is looking or aware really has no implications. In other words, if no one sees me swipe the cookie or break the dish, it really did not happen on some level. That ultimately is a nice lie that I can tell myself.

There is a piece of ancient wisdom that claims that what is not revealed cannot be healed. Even if I am the only one who knows that I did something or that I am having a problem with something, it is wise to talk it out with a trusted friend, journal about it, bring it to prayer, ask another's assistance. I find that just the act of sharing the issue opens me to the possibility to get new insights or greater clarity. Those things which seemed huge in the dark, can not be cut to size in the light of day. And usually, things are not as bad as they seemed.

I need to remind myself that even what happens in "secret" is not really unseen since God is with me at all times and in all places.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment