Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Character of Private Prayer

We must know that God regards our purity of heart and tears of compunction, not our many words. Prayer should therefore be short and pure, unless perhaps it is prolonged under the inspiration of divine grace. RB80.20.3-4

The Baltimore Catechism taught that prayer was the raising of the mind and the heart to God. Since I was raised in the Post-Vatican II church, my familiarity with the Catechism and the rituals of faith are still a little foreign to me.

I grew up with the concept that prayer was a relational, conversation with God. Since God is always with me and God is everywhere, God could be in constant communication with me. That was a concept that I could easily relate to--since I tend to enjoy talking and always have some internal or external dialogue going. The one part that I tend to forget is that there needs to be at least as much listening (preferably more) as there is speaking in this relationship.

Just as in daily relationships it is not a good idea to monopolize the entire conversation so too in prayer. I need to remember to leave space (silence) for God to respond to me. I also need to listen carefully because sometimes God's message can be very subtle or come in a different form than I expect.

Benedict gives me the key for remembering that today. God is not so much concerned with how well I can express myself in prayer as in how sincere and heartfelt the prayer is. God cares about getting to see the true "me" in prayer--not a well polished replica.

How am I listening in prayer today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment