Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

On Lukewarmness

For monks who in a week’s time say less than the full psalter with the customary canticles betray extreme indolence and lack of devotion in their service. We read, after all, that our holy Fathers, energetic as they were, did all this in a single day. Let us hope that we, lukewarm as we are, can achieve it in a whole week. RB80.18.24-25

It is not uncommon for older generations to look upon the younger with dismay over they lack of energy, motivation, enthusiasm and fervor displayed in the younger. Parents often remind children that when they were young things were much tougher in life. Elders often shake their heads wondering what will happen to the coming generations.

That is the sense portrayed today in Benedict's reference to the holy Fathers who were much more devoted and energetic than the present group. I can choose to dwell on the shortcomings of the present generation or I can choose to be grateful for those thousands who have gone before me in this life of faith. I can decide today to take them as my models of strength, fidelity and perseverance. I can be grateful for the life which they founded for us.

How am I showing my gratitude today for our founding generations? How can I be an example for those who come after me?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment