Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Following Instructions

The eighth step of humility is that a monk does only what is endorsed by the common rule of the monastery and the example set by his superiors. RB80.7.55

There is a special talent in being able to follow directions and not deviate from the expected norm. I know this from experience since I am not a person who cares to follow instructions all the time and ends up working harder to clean up messes.

I enjoy living on the edge and learning by doing so when given the option of reading the manual or recipe or just "winging it" and hoping for the best. I usually just forge ahead and get ready for an adventure. After all, how many great discoveries would have been lost if everyone followed the guidebooks all the time?

In community life, however, Benedict is inviting me to consider adhering to the basic plan for the group...not to head out on my own taking others with me. Not everyone enjoys an adventure as much as I do and there is prudence in being respectful of other's sensitivities. All of life does not have to be lived by my rules. I need to be willing to bend and accept the norm.

I need to pray for the grace to temper my need for innovation and excitement with other's need for security.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment