Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Obedience for Love of God

The third step of humility is that a man submits to his superior in all obedience for the love of God, imitating the Lord of whom the Apostle says: He became obedient even to death (Phil 2:8). RB80.7.34

Being obedient is okay...as long as it is not too terribly hard. I have problems considering being obedient even to death. That seems a little too painful and drastic to me.

Sister Louise, one of our beloved Sisters who died a few years back, used to say that her daily prayer was, "Dear Lord, I will do anything...just don't make it too hard." I can relate to this type of prayer. I am willing to offer God my obedience but I usually hesitate at making a full out total commitment.

The example of obedience that Benedict proposes for us today is the image of Christ being obedient the point of crucifixion. While I will probably never be asked to face crucifixion in the name of obedience, there are probably small sacrifices that I may be required to undergo.

What are these sacrifices? I am willing to undergo this pain in humble obedience?
  • Will I be asked to forego having my own way in everything all of the time?
  • Will I need to listen to the same story one more time from the older Sister who is struggling with memory issues?
  • Can I graciously answer the same question one more time--even if I just answered it five minutes ago?

These are just a few examples of ways in which I might be called to be obedient even to death for love of God.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment