Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

The Influence of Prayer

Today we begin the section on prayer in common. The Rule contains 13 chapters that speak of what is involved in monastic prayer. Some of these chapters (8-18) deal with the minutiae of what the order of the Psalms should be, a listing of other specific prayers and scripture readings for the year. Chapters 19 and 20 deal with the attitude necessary in the individual during prayer. Together these chapters constitute a vital part of the Rule of Benedict.

When I was finishing my Masters Degree one of the topics that I wrote on was common prayer and the impact of this prayer on individuals after long periods of daily praying the Psalms. One of my assertions was that the repetition of these prayers over a period of years should leave an imprint on my life (hopefully for the good). Much like water works on rocks in streams to smooth off rough edges, daily exposure and prayer with the psalms and scripture ideally should have the same effect on me as a person.

It is my duty to show up daily as awake and aware as possible to God's presence. All I really have to do is show up and be open to God's action in my life.

How open am I today to God's word in my life?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment