Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Harmony of Mind and Voice

Let us consider, then, how we ought to behave in the presence of God and his angels, and let us stand to sing the psalms in such a way that our minds are in harmony with our voices. RB80.19.6-7

I love to sing--I am definitely not the best singer or the most accomplished musician but I do enjoy singing and music. Today's passage from the Rule of St. Benedict speaks to the singer in me.

I know from experience how important it is to be in harmony and how gut-wrenching it can be to hear dissonance. I also know how difficult it can be to have my mind and my mouth both being fully present at the same time, on the same task. There is a temptation to think that since I have prayed the same psalms and responses for years I can conceivable "pray" our Office on autopilot. All that would be necessary is the presence of my body. In order to fully engage in prayer, though, I need to be fully there--mind, heart, voice, and body.

There are skills that are necessary so that we may all have a better prayer experience.
  • I need to listen to those around me. I need to be in sync with others neither too fast or too slow.
  • I need to pay attention. If my mind is on other things the words that come out of my mouth might not be the correct ones and I might end up being a distraction.
  • I need to be still. Although there are no specific poses for prayer, I do need to watch that my body and posture is not distracting to those around me.
  • I need to be present and not day dreaming. This is the most important time of my day...every day.

What other skills do I need to bring to my daily prayer?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment