Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Reverence to the Holy Trinity

As soon as the cantor begins to sing "Glory be to the Father," let all the monks rise from their seats in honor and reverence for the Holy Trinity. RB80.9.7

One of the things that I love about our prayer is the rituals that are involved. I don't like ritual just for the sake of ritual, but I find value in intentional actions performed for a specific purpose.

One of the monastic rituals that has a special place in my heart is the bow at the "Glory be to the Father." When I was younger, I had very little sense of why we would stand at the beginning of this prayer and bow during the portion that praises God who is Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I guess I had never read to the end of the sentence quoted today since the reason for the bow is stated quite clearly--it is to show honor and reverence for the Holy Trinity.

If I truly believe that I live in God's presence all the time, everywhere, then my interior disposition should be one of honor and reverence to God in whose presence I abide. Through my actions, words and attitudes I need to look for ways that speak of that honor and reverence daily. That belief needs to be one of the elements that sets me apart from the world both as a Christian and as a monastic woman.

How am I showing honor and reverence to God around me today?

Sr. Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment