Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Controlling the Tongue

The ninth step of humility is that a monk controls his tongue and remains silent, not speaking unless asked a question,... RB80.7.56

Every thought that passes through my head does not need to be expressed. Although it can lead to some interesting conversations, not all words and ideas while truthful are polite and necessary. This is part of the lesson on humility today--I do not have to be the one to blurt out my opinions and reactions on every subject.

I have a friend who taught her children and grandchildren to respond "That's interesting," when someone asked their opinion on a sensitive topic. She felt that it gave her family something that they could respond with when asked how someones new hair cut looked or how appealing a new outfit was. I needed to have learned something like that growing up since I do not seem to have a very good reaction filter or a poker face.

While not inviting me to be dishonest, Benedict is pointing out that maybe the best thing to do in some situations is to not comment. Especially when commenting might prove hurtful or mean to the others involved. Although I have a right to express my thoughts on important matters, I need to determine when it might be wiser to remain silent.

What words have I used today that probably did not need to be said?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment