Search This Blog

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Doing the Lord's Will

The second step of humility is that a man loves not his own will nor takes pleasure in the satisfaction of his desires;... RB80.7.31

There is a difference between being strong willed/stubborn and having will power. I have always been a person who tends to have a very strong will but when it comes to having discipline and will power I tend to fall short. As many who know me will attest, I can out stubborn just about anybody (not a very good quality to have).

Today we hear Benedict tell his disciples to strive for will power rather than willfulness. I am invited to look at those things that I am passionate about and see if they are based out of thought and discipline or likes and whim.

Working to achieve discerned will power makes me stronger when difficulties arise. I will know better how to stop and think and delay gratification (not my usual tendency). I will get opportunities to practice my self-discipline by thinking things through and listening to others rather than mindlessly holding on to my own desires.

May I be open to God's will in my life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment