Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Expecting More

More is always expected from those who possess more (more wealth, more skill, more strength, more talent). This precept is the basic message of today's reading from the Rule of St. Benedict. The leader, who is naturally considered to possess more wisdom and virtue, is expected to be an example of how the monastic life is to be fulfilled; how to do this Christian living graciously.

I have never been the prioress but I have been in positions of leadership--teacher, mentor, supervisor, elder sister. Someone once told me that I am always an example for others. I can choose to be an example of good or I can model poor behavior. What kind of example I am will always be my choice but ultimately I will be one type of role model or another.

This can be a sobering thought since often I can desire to live life in a vacuum...live a life that does not impact others. Actually, none of us has that luxury because through our lived example we can influence toward the good or toward ill.

I desire always to be an example for good.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment