Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Better in Good Works and in Humility

Only in this are we distinguished in his sight: if we are found better than others in good works and in humility. RB80.2.21


I have a secret desire to be special, to be the star, to be the center of the universe. Actually most people that know me well would say that it is a not so secret desire.

I am always looking for the tip that will give me that edge to a successful and distinguished life. That has pretty much been a lifetime goal since I do tend to be pretty driven and intense about life at times.

Benedict today provides me a glimpse at what really matters in life for God. I am to strive to be better than others at good works and in humility. Okay, I might be able to do the good works piece--I know all the right actions and I am pretty good at being nice to others and helping out when needed (even without being asked). That first part I think I might be able to handle for a while. BUT to do all of these things in humility?

I bet that means that I cannot announce every good deed that I perform. I can't be showy in my good actions. I need to remember not be do good works only when there is an audience around to praise me. Acting like a martyr in the midst of all this action probably negates humility also.

Today's question for me: How can I be better in both good works and humility today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment