Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Leading To Growth

...and while helping others to amend by his warnings, he achieves the amendment of his own faults. RB80.2.40

Benedict invites those in leadership to remember that there is a responsibility to help others avoid sin and to also amend his own faults. This is a special aspect to leadership--being responsible for own actions yet also assuring that the example provided is one of growth and good behavior.

Being the oldest in our family by quite a few years (15 year span from oldest to youngest), I was provided with multiple opportunities daily to provide modeling and example to my brother and sister. Growing up, I hated this role. It always made me feel like I was on display and that my behavior might come back to haunt me some day. During a recent visit with my family, I realized that although I was an example of sorts for the younger ones, it was often more of the subtle interactions which have really impacted others in my family. It is healing to be able to see this in retrospect.

We are created to live in community (all different kinds of communities). We are called to be examples and teachers to one another.

What kind of example am I providing today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment