Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Ready Obedience

Such people as these immediately put aside their own concerns, abandon their own will, and lay down whatever they have in hand, leaving it unfinished. With the ready step of obedience, they follow the voice of authority in their actions. Almost at the same moment, then, as the master gives the instruction the disciple quickly puts it into practice in the fear of God; and both actions together are swiftly completed as one. RB80.5.7-9

There is an urgency that comes from reading this passage from the Rule. The monastic is to put their own agenda aside immediately, abandon tasks and desires unfullfilled. These actions take place simultaneously with the command. That type of obedience has never been part of my reality.

Growing up, I fully embraced the philosophy of the late 60's and early 70's, where everything was available for debate. I would obey to a point but eventually I would start questioning the thinking behind the request. I didn't really mind doing things but I did want to know why I was required to do things. I have always been a person with tons of questions and lots of opinions about almost any matter.

Benedict, in this passage, is inviting me to trust in those in authority and in the community. I am to trust that I might not always have all of the answers or maybe even the full vision. It is okay not to know all the details at the beginning. I practice in trusting that the community/family/group will look out for my best interests most times. I need to trust that God might be speaking to me through those in authority.

I desire to grow in my openness and obedience. How am I following God today in obedience?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment