Search This Blog

Friday, September 17, 2010

The Good of the Whole

In the monastery no one is to follow his own heart's desire, nor shall anyone presume to contend with his abbot defiantly, or outside the monastery. RB80.3.8-9

I am a very creative person and generally have tons of ideas (not all necessarily well thought out). For the most part I am willing to share my ideas and opinions with whomever will listen.

There is a danger, though of becoming too attached to my plans, ideas and proposals. Sometimes my plans start to get confused with my identity. When I become so closely identified with my ideas and plans that a question about a concept starts sounding like a personal attack, I need to step back and assess my connection with my project.

Is it the idea that is being questioned or is it my identity? Can I offer my thoughts to the group then release them for all to evaluate?

When I start being too identified with my role, my task or my ideas, it is a good time to evaluate my motivations.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment