Search This Blog

Friday, September 24, 2010

Respecting Silence

...there are times when good words are to be left unsaid out of esteem for silence. RB80.6.2

When visitors first come to our house they often comment on how quiet and still our home seems to be. Our monastery can be considered an oasis of sorts from the hectic world.

Chapter 6 of the Rule invites us to consider the virtue of silence or restraint of speech. Although Benedict acknowledges that there appropriate times and uses for speech, he also points out that there are occasions when even good words are to be left unsaid. Since I am a person who is very comfortable in the world of speech, I am invited to consider situations when words that are true might better be left unsaid for the sake of charity or compassion.

  • I do not have to speak every thought that passes through my mind. Sometimes my initial reaction or response to something new or different may be harsh and might hurt another.
  • There are situations when information must be held until the appropriate time. If there is a surprise party being held for someone, I really do not want to be the person who spoils the secret.
  • I may not have all the information necessary to be able to speak adequately on a topic.
  • I might be wiser to hold my comments until I have had some time to think through the plan and any consequences.
  • As true and sincere as the words might be, not everyone needs to know what is passing through my mind.

I need to learn to filter my speech with charity and compassion. I need to remember to ask myself: Is this something that really needs to be said?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment