Search This Blog

Monday, September 13, 2010

Finding the Balance

He should not gloss over the sins of those who err, but cut them out while he can, as soon as they begin to sprout, remembering the fate of Eli, priest of Shiloh (1Samuel 2.11-4.18) RB80. 2.26

I am not a good gardener. I do not have the patience necessary to nurture plants to full maturity and to keep the area clean around them. My tendency is to pull everything that seems remotely like a weed from the very beginning. Kind of kill everything that is not pretty or useful at the beginning and hope for the best.

My overzealous attitude towards gardening can be extended to my own personal life. I tend to vacillate between scouring every blemish as soon as it appears (often to the point of exhaustion) or being so laissez-faire about things that my life can appear ultra-chaotic and disorganized. I need to find some point of balance; some spot where the ideal, the reality and the chaos can abide comfortably.

Benedict invites me to listen to God speaking in my life--in Scripture, in events, in relationships. I need to learn to fine tune my listening in all these avenues so that when God asks me to change or when internal warning signs appear, I will be able to recognize them and pay heed. This is the first step towards a more balanced life.

How am I listening today?


Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment