Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What kind of community member am I?

There are clearly four kinds of monks. (RB80.1.5)


When Benedict decided to build a monastic community, he looked around at the persons who followed him and shook his head. Some were barbarians still carrying their knives and other weapons, Some, perhaps most, were illiterate; they could neither read nor write. Some were dirty and ragged, coming right off the roads. Some were strong and physical; others were frail and weak. But, he welcomed them all and drew up a Rule with “nothing harsh, nothing burdensome…a little strictness.”


It was not long before Benedict discovered he had four kinds of people in his monastery. He had Cenobites who walked in the presence of God day by day and served one another in building up the community. Am I a Cenobite who strives to live under a rule and a Prioress? who is aware of and serves the needs of others? Or am I an Anchorite who chooses to go off by myself and isolate myself from community building?


Who am I—Cenobite or Anchorite?


Sr. Veronica, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment