Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Ever-Present Divine Presence

At the beginning of Chapter 19 of the Rule, I am reminded that God is everywhere. That can be a daunting thought, especially on the days that I am not at my best and want to hide from everyone especially God. It can also be a real comforting yet challenging thought.

When I was young (about 1st or 2nd grade), I somehow took the idea of God's presence to be something like an invisible companion--yet very real. It was that image that helped me deal with teasing at school over my language (I was still learning English) or my family (my family was very different from everyone else's). It helped me deal with being picked last for the basketball or softball team. It helped me get through life. For me, God's presence was very real and it was what got me through some tough times.

In middle age, I am now trying to recover some of that sense of God's loving presence in my life. I no longer need it for the same reasons; but I do desire to be true to my best self and live in an awareness of God's care and love in my life and in the lives of others. I am slowly learning how to regain some of the wisdom of my past (the wisdom I had as a child).

May God help us all abide in his love.

How has God been present in life today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment