Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Spiritual Companioning

Many people are not fortunate to have "truth tellers" in their lives. I am truly fortunate in that I have at least three, possibly as many as five, "truth tellers" in my life.


These are women who know me very well and who care about me and my well being. They know me better than even my own family knows me in some instances. They are persons who have seen me at my best and at my worst and are still okay with me. They will sometimes tell me what I would rather not hear but need to know. They are also the ones that I go to when I want the real truth about things because I know that they will be honest with me. They know that I can yell and cry and be very angry at times but will eventually listen and at least consider the validity of what is said.


St. Benedict advocates this type of relationship in the 5th Step of Humility when he asks his followers to lay their thoughts open before a spiritual elder. This type of relationship is rare in life and highly to be treasured.

Who are the "truth tellers" in your life?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment