Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2010

The Wisdom of Benedict

What has allowed the Rule of St. Benedict to last over 1500 years? That is a question that I found myself asking during prayers this morning.



The Rule is one of the longest existing documents that is still in effect today. I was impressed this morning in considering the timelessness of the Rule in that Benedict took into account nature (the length of nights and days), individual personalities, human relations, and moderation. It's like a very basic recipe for community existence.



Benedict was definitely years ahead of his time in knowing how to skillfully sift through the best available at his time and add his own blend to it.



I pray to be as skillful in putting into practice the Rule in my life.



Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment