Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2010

Reciting By Heart

I am a language person...I learn languages quickly, my mind is attuned to words and nuances, and I love to talk.

Chapter 13 of the Rule has a brief comment about how the passage from scripture used at morning prayer should be recited by heart. That concept intrigued me because I know that in order for a new word or a new language to be part of me, I usually have to get to the point where I can think in that language--rather than translate into that language while thinking in English. It would seem that in order for me to be able to recite scripture by heart, I would have to live the passage. I would have to more than just be reciting the passage like a grocery list.

I know that many of our older Sisters have done this after many years of praying the Psalms. I am still far from that but I do desire to be able to do that at some future time. I desire to be so familiar with scripture that my life would be a living Bible.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment