Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

Noisy Speech

The 11th Step of Humility talks about the type, quality and amount of speech. I have never been known for being meek, delicate or naturally silent. Actually, I sometimes think that the term "whisper" was never included in my vocabulary--or at least I do not understand it very well. Usually if you need a message conveyed without a microphone, I would be the person you would want to help you.

I have grown to appreciate the value of silence and calm, of discretion in speech (I don't have to say everything that pops into my mind) and the wisdom of just being present rather than talking non-stop. There are times when just silent presence in much more appropriate and welcome than tons of words--at times of grief, at times of serious illness, natural disasters.

I pray to continue growing in my appreciation of silence in my life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment