Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Praying Throughout the Day

In earlier times (and still in some communities today), communities gathered seven times daily to pray. This practice is to fulfill the injunction for St. Paul's letter to the Thessolonians to pray without ceasing.

While this concept of ceaseless prayer has intrigued me since childhood, I often find myself wondering what ceaseless prayer would look like in my own life. Would I be found in chapel on my knees 24/7? Would there be a noticeable glow and radiance about me? Would I be more kind, loving and polite? Although I might like to believe so, the answer is probably NO in my case.

What would ceaseless prayer look like for me in my life, then? I would be more aware of God and God's presence in my life. I would be more centered and focused in my relationships. I would be conscious of the gift which God has given me through my life and I would attempt to communicate that more concretely.

Although ceaseless prayer is more an ideal than a reality for me today, I pray for the grace to continue striving for that continuous union in my life. What would ceaseless prayer look like for you?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment